Sunday, December 11, 2011

Guadete, or Joy, does not come from what we do, but who we love

I need to remember my title this coming week. My "to do" list is getting longer, but I need to step back and breathe deeply a few times and just let life take its own course. I'm here, so I'll go for the ride but I can turn my boat to shore if need be.

We received a handout from Church of what the 4 weeks of Advent mean. This is week 3. The week of Joy. We're asked to set aside some time this week to do at least one thing with those we love just for the sheer joy of it. Whatever it is, do it as a family and simply enjoy the time together.

Last night Grandpa A took the boys and I to see the Canadian Pacific Holiday Train in Wabasha, MN. Wabasha is lucky in being one of only 140 stops the Holiday Train makes. The train is lit up with Christmas lights in designs such as snowflakes, snowmen, candy canes, and the boxcars are outlined. I'm not sure how many cars it had, but it was a cool sight. I have never seen it before. Monster liked it because he got to see the locomotive this year. I guess in previous years he hasn't gotten to. I learned a lesson though; when you have a 36 pound Peanut (said shaking my head, because he did NOT feel that light last night) on your shoulders and the band from the train says they want to see people dancing, your shoulders and neck lose. Or at least mine did.

Today includes watching Mass on TV, hopefully ship off one if not both boys with Grandpa A, finish 5 beadie angels, making a Food Pyramid for our Tiger Scout meeting tomorrow night, and to start making 3 batches of cookies that will be divided up for the teachers at Monster's school and Luke's parents and siblings. There might be some left for us, but I don't care if there are. We're making Chocolate Mint Chocolate Chip cookies, Snowballs, and White Chocolate covered sandwich cookies. Yeah, I know. Not the traditional Christmas cookies. Guess what, too bad. I don't like rolling out cookie dough and never really liked the cookies with the candied cherries in them and simply do NOT feel like making a ton of cookies when all they'll do is sit in the freezer slowly getting eaten.  (Besides I, personally, don't need any cookies. If I was a Mama bear, I'd be hybernating off the padding right now.)

I enjoyed going to see the Holiday Train, but Luke told me he wanted some just us time. I just can't win them all. Oh well.

Today, I am thankful Monster tried basketball yesterday, even if he didn't like it. I'm thankful for an evening out with my boys where they were both good. I'm thankful for my loving husband, even if he doesn't tell me verbally. I'm thankful the boys and I are starting to feel better after an icky stomach malady this week. I'm thankful for the ability to make the cookies for the teachers and Luke's family. I'm thankful for the bountiful food and warm home we have. I'm thankful for the ability to be able to purchase more food as needed.






Dear God, help each person in our family understand the true meaning of Christmas. Fill us with joy. Make us more loving. Amen.

Lord, I ask You today to help me be a better wife, mom, and overall person. Help me be patient with my children and others. Help me be more charitable to those truly in need. Come into my heart, and help me see Your ways so that I may live to be the person You created me to be. I ask these thing in Your name. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice post! It is the little stuff that brings us the most joy.

    Love you!

    Traci

    ReplyDelete